Monday, May 9, 2011

The Khayembii Communique

The Khayembii Communiqué was an underground  / screamo band from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Although a trio, they manage to be more eminent than other hardcore / screamo bands. An ordinary song consists of the singer-guitarist, Mark Shaw screaming his emotions out while strumming furiously at his guitar and singer-bass player Brian Wilcox, utualizing the concept of the song with poppy bass lines and calm singing. They performed with bands such as Saetia and You & I in local basements and house shows. This is a truly amazing band. If you haven't heard these guys do yourself a huge favor and download this discography immediately. 


http://www.mediafire.com/?jkzmbozeja0

AMAZING SONG
i'm trying too hard to forget to just be me.
forgetting to forget the imagined audience.
who i wish would understand me,
yet never know me.
because i can't bear to show what i don't know.
this is why i discuss trivialities.
this is why i seem so strong.
because my shell won't be cracked if i make sure you never find out how to.
yet i want to open up.
i want to see who i am.
i want to see.
but it terrifies me to think that maybe you love me for what i say and not who i am.
My politics just aren't me;
just another wall between you and i.
The select few who've seen through the facade,
i pushed away in horror.

afraid of what they knew.
i withheld so much about myself to keep a fucked-up advantage
and now i see i never had anything to gain.
so now there's no more trying to "Just be me".
no more hiding behind a language. just expose myself for what i've been;
a fraud,
cashing in on rhetoric
that i learned to abuse,
what i used to push you away.
that i used to win even though.. every single time i lost.
every single time. 

1 comment:

  1. The only purpose for the word, "screamo" is when used in a sour, derogatory context to describe the contrived, sensitive, gay music and dumber than shit lyrics of tortured artists with horrible names like The Khayembii Communique. What does that even mean?

    I'm sure that it means something truly profound that gives these guys instant points in the nerd circuit, but does anyone else even care? I only care enough to write this critique about something I feel strongly about- shitty bands who think they are really awesome and original.

    So, in the case of The Khayembii Communique, go right ahead and call it "screamo" if that helps make sense of the myriad of different sounds being filed away in your head. And what an impressive myriad that is I'm sure. You are obsessed with music like me. My late night hunger for new sounds has brought me to your wonderful blog and I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share so much great music with us.

    But back to screamo. A lot of the bands that you have listed in your blog as screamo really deserve better than that, because, frankly, there is no such thing as "screamo". Emo is retarded enough. "Emo" is what happens when music publications publish articles written by morons. Morons love making up stupid words and they love to classify shit that they never understood in the first place. Emo, is a stupid, stupid word, that really should only be associated with the brilliant work of the seminal Austin punk group, The Fuck Emos. And, no, the name of the band is not a reference to hating malnourished white boys with bad haircuts. The origin of the Fuck Emo's name is in relation to the bands early days, when they were struggling for gigs, and could not seem to get booked at Austin, TX's premiere underground punk venue, EMO's. Using the word, "emo" to describe a style of music or even worse, to classify a human being, is beyond retarded. Is everyone reading this taking notes? Make sure you write this down; "Emo is not a word".

    And "screamo"? I cringe and feel greasy just thinking about any band that actually uses the word "screamo" to classify their sound. When I think of the word, I imagine myself discussing music with really ignorant white kids in the suburbs of Texas, or Arizona, who think Good Charlotte is good music and "punk rock", or even worse~ juggalos!!!

    What makes me an expert on screamo anyhow? Who am I? Well, according to SPIN Magazine, I am a former member of the band that SPIN magazine described as, "the world's first screamo band".

    As a pioneer of this wonderful genre, I implore you to eliminate the term from your vocabulary.

    Thank you, and goodnight,
    Billy Druid.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdh0Qm_5A0

    ReplyDelete